Down and dirty
Answer the following questions on a separate HANDWRITTEN paper by using the link provided and clicking the link to go to the next page:
WWF Soils pages
1. How are ranches in Northern Mexico preventing erosion?
(List two ways)
2. How does growing wheat promote erosion?
3. How would perennial wheat reduce erosion?
4. How does the Conservation Reserve Program reduce soil erosion? (Explain how it works)
5. How does the CRP promote biodiversity?
6. Explain the difference between composting and mulch.
7. How does terracing help prevent erosion?
8. How do some plants benefit from fungi?
9. What is "ZooDoo"? The link online is broken, use this link and then return.
10. How does ZooDoo benefit the environment?
Return to the original page and continue..
11. Explain how we can clean up rivers using trees...
12. What is the total weight of living organisms in the top 6 inches of an acre of soil?
13. Yard trimmings and food scraps, both biodegradable, make up about what percent of the waste generated by U.S. households?
Use the following link, use the interactive tool, and answer the questions below:
Soil Profile interactive
Use only the "Introduction" soil horizon interactive (the first one - the others are accessed by scrolling downward) for the following questions.
14. Through what processes is soil formed?
15. What is a soil horizon?
16. How do cold temperatures affect soil formation? (Once you set the temperature, click "continue")
17. How do warm temperatures affect soil formation?
(Once you set the temperature, click "continue")
18. Of what does the "A" horizon consist?
19. Of what does the "B" horizon consist?
20. Of what does the "C" horizon consist?
21. How do plant roots affect soil formation?
22. What is the most important factor in chemical weathering?
23. What is the most important factor in physical weathering?
24. How do the minerals in the bedrock affect the soil which forms after weathering takes place?
Use the "A" horizon interactive for the next questions.
25. What causes the "A" horizon to develop?
Use the "B" horizon interactive for the next questions.
26. What causes the "B" horizon to develop?
Quote of the moment: (Reload this page for a new quote)
"To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while." --Josh Billings
[Sorry. Only this one quote for non-Java browsers]