Study Guide, Chapter
9 Environmental Science
Terms to know:
Arable; Life expectancy; Replacement Level; Industrial revolution; demographic transition (plus know
all the stages and characteristics); Fertility rates; Population pyramid;
Demography; Exponential growth; Survivorship; Post-industrial demographic
- Know in general the areas of the world experiencing
high population growth or low to no population growth.
- What is the predicted world population in 2050?
- How does sewage disposal affect water supplies?
- What types of countries are designated by the U.N. to
get priority for aid?
- What factors contribute the most to exponential
growth of the human population?
- What could alleviate an increase in waterborne
- What region of the world is experiencing the biggest
increase in population?
- What strategies could slow population growth?
- Why did world population double between 1880 and
- What caused the 1991 cholera outbreak in Peru?
- How long did it take for Earth’s human population to
double from 2 Billion to 4 Billion?
- Describe the demographic transition model.
- What diseases are most often spread through unsafe
- In what conditions would wood be considered a limited
resource in developing countries?
- What happens to the death rate in stage 2 of the
- The 3rd stage of demographic transition is
characterized by what?
- What factors make it difficult to reduce population
- Describe the age structure of a country with high
- When has population growth been greatest? (during
- When will world population stop growing?
- Less developed countries suffer more from rapid
population growth. Why? What do developed countries have that less
developed countries do not?
- How is a population pyramid created?
- What factors are used to predict population sizes?
- What happens when birth rates and death rates are