To Start with......
Geology Semester exam Take-Home test!
This study guide will count 33% of your exam grade!
1. What is cleavage?
2. Laccoliths often form what?
3. Dikes are produced by what activity?
4. On a topographic map, elevation is represented (or shown) by what?
5. How reliable is color in identifying a mineral?
6. Define mineral.
7. How does magma form?
8. Which has finer texture – intrusive igneous rocks or extrusive igneous rocks?
9. What are index contours, and for what are they used?
10. Define relief.
11. How is Moh’s hardness scale used?
12. What is the difference between true north and geomagnetic north?
13. Define the hexagonal crystal system using axes and lengths of axes.
14. How are latitude and longitude divided into smaller units?
15. Explain the difference in composition of mafic rocks and felsic rocks.
16. What are the 6 basic crystal systems?
17. What are contour lines?
18. How is a fine grained texture in an igneous rock produced?
19. What are the 5 basic igneous intrusions, and their shapes? (Be able to identify from a drawing)
20. How are rocks classified?
21. What happens to crystal size as cooling time increases?
22. What is a porphyry and how does it form?
23. Where is North usually drawn on a map?
24. How does volcanic glass form?
25. Streak is a test of a minerals _______.
26. What is density?
27. What are cabochon style gems?
28. Elevation is measured from what known benchmark or standard?
29. What are the major groups of minerals as defined by chemical composition?
30. What is the parent material for all rocks?
31. What is magnetic declination?
32. What igneous intrusion forms the core of many major mountain ranges?
33. What are the 3 major subatomic particles, what are their electrical charges, and where in the atom are they found?
34. Define the following: Atomic number; Atomic mass; Isotope; Ion ; Atom; Compound.
35. Be able to determine the number of atoms in a compound. (NaCl = how many atoms of Sodium, how many atoms of Chlorine?)
36. What are the 2 most abundant elements in Earth’s crust?
37. What do closed loops show on topographic maps?
38. How is density related to the physical state of matter?
39. What are the various colors on a topographic map used to indicate?
40. Rapid increases in elevation – such as a cliff - are indicated on a topographic map by what?
41. What does scale on a map show?
42. Closely space contour lines indicate what?
43. A list of symbols on a map is called the _______.
44. How is heft related to the density of a mineral?
45. How does a lava plateau formed?
46. What is texture, as it relates to igneous rocks?
47. Explain the difference between the continuous and discontinuous sides of Bowens Reaction Series. Draw and label it for extra credit.
Quote of the moment: (Reload this page for a new quote)
"To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while." --Josh Billings
[Sorry. Only this one quote for non-Java browsers]